Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6)

Many of us who are parents have children who have walked away from the Lord. It’s a tough place to be there. Watching your children make poor decisions is no easy task. As you see them make mistakes, you might start to think back over the years and try to pinpoint where you went wrong. You wonder what you could have done differently to prevent your children from putting their faith on the back burner.

Proverbs 22:6 is a promise all parents should cling to, but it can be difficult to believe when your child seems to have departed from his training. You begin to question if your child will ever return to the Lord.

Several years ago, my father-in-law gave my wife some great parenting advice. He said, “Honey, I know as a parent, you’ve done the best that you can do. If you think about it, the greatest father that Israel could have ever had was the Father. He was the perfect Father, but Israel still rebelled.”

You can do all the right things, but you could still have a child who chooses to do their own thing, their own way, for their own glory and their own agenda. As the old saying goes, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.”

There are two very important things you can do during a season like this. The first thing is that you must continue to be an example to your children in your own walk with God. Whether they admit it or not, your children are watching you. They are looking to see if you practice what you preach, and if you are living out your own faith. Be diligent in setting a godly example for your children by the way you act, speak, and relate to others.

The second thing is to continue to pray for your children. From your vantage point, nothing may seem to be changing or progressing in your child’s life. Only God can see what is happening in someone’s heart. You never know how the Lord could be working in someone else’s life. Even when you can’t see any evidence of growth, change, or remorse; keep praying for your children. Ask God to do an incredible, redemptive work in their lives.

1. Kelly on February 23, 2021 at 5:42 am

This couldn’t be more true… God sees your heart

2. James W Howell on February 23, 2021 at 8:55 am

I must continue praying for my loved ones and never give up PRAISE GOD !

• Anthony on February 23, 2021 at 8:32 pm

Indeed my brother!!!!

3. Dave Edmonston on February 23, 2021 at 9:14 am

Prodigals do Come Home!

4. Tajuana Johnson on February 23, 2021 at 9:52 am

I really needed to read this message this morning! I feel like it was meant for me because every word spoke volumes to my heart! This is exactly where I am and it’s such a hard place to be! I really needed this encouragement today!!

5. Sheri Potter on February 23, 2021 at 11:43 am

Great words, I love the prayer group Praying Moms at Westside, meeting weekly to pray for our adult children. Placing them before the lord with others is a faith builder for sure!

6. Jason Suing on February 23, 2021 at 1:15 pm

Hallelujah for the love of God is so true he gave his own son up for us so we could have our children and families thank you Father

7. Vivian L. Lott on February 23, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Doing all the things mentioned above and continuing to pray as well as leaving it in His hands, thank you.

8. Jennifer M. Quinn on February 23, 2021 at 9:18 pm

My sister Micci Quinn has run from GOD to do her own thing, and live her own way. I never really actually knew her.
    I want my sister Micci to genuinely “Run Like The Prodigal” TO Christ Jesus our Lord before it is too late!!!
    Please pray for her!! Thank you!!!♥️♥️♥️
    Love, Jennifer M. Quinn

9. Rick on February 23, 2021 at 11:28 pm

When my child got saved , it was the most wonderful time of my life. Always praying for my child. Praise God!

10. Paul on February 24, 2021 at 2:18 am

It’s true, I was THAT child for almost forty years. Thankfully I had a mom and a God that didn’t give up on me.