42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.” (Matthew 26:42)

Following the upper room meal, Jesus and His disciples made their way through Jerusalem’s streets. They crossed the Kidron Valley and continued on to the western-facing slope of the Mount of Olives. He was headed to Gethsemane to pray. He was planning to pray with His disciples, but that would be short lived. They would not make it very long, especially after the meal. This would be a battle (a lonely battle) where our Lord felt little support from the very men whom He had poured His life into for years.

His prayer time in Gethsemane was filled with great agony. He even told His disciples, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death…” They likely had never heard Him speak like this before, but it did little to bolster their prayer energy. It was an event which has never been repeated, or will ever have to be repeated by Christ. Why was He so troubled? Was He afraid of dying? Was Jesus in pain because He would be leaving His disciples? Was He fearful of torture? Not in the least to any of those answers!

When Jesus took upon Himself the sins of this world, He could not be aligned with His Father. Not aligning Himself with the Father would mean broken fellowship, for the first time ever! That’s why He cried out from the cross, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken me?” Do you get it? Jesus had always been in fellowship, sweet union with His Father. He told His disciples that He only did what He saw the Father doing. What a union! However, the cross would bring for a moment of time, a break in that precious flow.

Every time I have ever traveled to Gethsemane, or read this account in the Word, I am brought face to face with my own insensitivity. How often are we not mindful of what God wants, not sensing His voice and acting like, “It’s no big deal?” We sin and flippantly say to ourselves, “Oh, I will repent later.” We are more in touch with our flesh than we are with the Spirit of God. Even the thought of broken fellowship took Jesus to the place of unbearable sorrow. In contrast, our friendship with our flesh whispers betrayal in melodies we listen to as if they were on the “Top Forty!”

“Oh, Lord, forgive us for minimizing our blessed fellowship with You! Instead, bring us back to the place where we learn to pray until we align ourselves with You and Your wonderful plan!”

1. Kelly on April 3, 2021 at 5:41 am

Amen to that

2. D. Gilmore on April 3, 2021 at 6:43 am

I never knew why Jesus said “why have thy forsaken me?” I was taught incorrectly, what you said make perfect sense. I re-read it and prayed for understanding and it is saying for a short while I will be dead (not aligned) with the Father. I listen to you every Sunday morning and my prayer is to become a partner by contributing to this ministry because people need to be educated on the word of God but they have to first want to be!

3. James W Howell on April 3, 2021 at 8:37 am

My greatest need and want is to be aligned with The LORD JESUS. Holy Spirit be with me, guide me, teach me, I pray. Thank you FATHER !

4. David Edmonston on April 3, 2021 at 8:49 am

Yes, Amen.
    Tough lessons for me to learn, been taking me years, literally.
    Too often the First answer heard is repeated as God’s plan forward. Then later,
    after more prayer (or wrestling with God) you learn you “missed it by this much.”
    (credit to Get Smart tv show)
    After knowing you heard and understand the One clear voice, and actually checked to make sure it aligns with His Word, you still have to wait for the “Go” or “Come up higher” command before rushing off into foolishness. God’s Word will never fail us, as long as we Stand United in His Will and Timing, and move as He calls us forth, Amen.
    For Thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

5. slammon78@aol.com on April 3, 2021 at 10:16 am

Without the proper alinement one cant steer his/her life properly .

6. Ken Pralle on April 4, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Thank you Pastor Dodd for explaining a well known event of Christ’s passion, which I have read many times, at a new level of understanding. Jesus being separated from God the Father, bleeding and dying for us on a cross that should have been ours to bare. Since the Father did not take the cup from the Son, this was the Father saying I have prepared you so now you must do this on your own. No wonder he felt forsaken. Most all of us have sensed a similar thing in our lives when growing up into adults. There came a time when our parents, if they were doing their job, held back on help or support so that we would do on our own some task that needed be completed. God did once for Jesus what He does often for us. He says no to
    prayers so that He may guide us to do His will. Praise God for knowing what is right for us even though at the time we may not agree.