“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:13-16)

One of the most well-known missionaries in history was Jim Elliott. Jim and a team of other missionaries served in Ecuador in an attempt to share Christ with the local Indian tribes. On one particular mission effort, Jim and four other missionaries were killed by the very people they were ministering. He was only 28-years old.

Just days before he was killed, Jim wrote these words in his journal: “God, I pray thee, light these idle sticks of my life that I may burn for thee. Consume my life, my God, for it is thine. I seek not a long life, but a full one, like you, Lord Jesus.”

It turned out that Jim’s life would not last long, but it would definitely be full. The impact he made during his time on earth has far outlived him. For instance, Jim’s wife Elizabeth, along with the other widows of the men who died with Jim, went back to the tribe in Ecuador and had the privilege of leading to Christ the very people who killed their husbands. God allowed Jim’s life to burn. It was short, but it burned brightly.

As followers of Christ, we should all be living with the mentality that our lives have purpose. Regardless of whether you live to age 28 like Jim Elliott, or to 108, your life needs to count. It needs to make a difference. You were created to do more than just make a decent living. You were created to make an impact!

Take the time today to begin asking God to show you how He wants you to make an impact for His Kingdom. Don’t try to make excuses: You are not educated enough, you are not deep enough, or you have not followed Christ long enough. Don’t compare yourself to other believers. They are not your measuring stick; Jesus is. And Jesus’ desire is for you to live a life surrendered to Him so that you can, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

1. Janet L Sipes on May 7, 2021 at 4:10 am

Thank you Dr Dodd for everything that you teach. I wish you were in Ohio:). Everyday you give me things to grow more and to be a better example to everyone.

2. Robert Wicks on May 7, 2021 at 4:18 am

Having souls come to Christ is our mission as Christians. Because we have eternal life with him there should never be fear! Amen.

3. Frances Moses on May 7, 2021 at 4:21 am

Thank you Lord for another. Teach me lord as I avail myself to you. Bring people to me Lord that I can impact. May everyday I live bring glory to you as I reflect your love for others. In Jesus name I pray. Amen

4. Millie on May 7, 2021 at 4:44 am

This story/truth about the missionaries has always been hard for me. It makes an impact on my heart/soul. Since, I was very young I prayed to be able to honor God to serve him. As an adult the stress of the world often sinks in-but nothing is greater than God. I pray my light shines daily. Please God do not let me lose my saltiness.

5. Sherry Granger on May 7, 2021 at 5:20 am

Oh my, what a great message and one that I certainly needed to hear this day……. The thought that your light can shine in good ways to encourage and bring others to Christ long after you are gone from this world is a reviving thought to one’s heart we all need to hear, think about and encourage us in our daily lives to serve the Lord in all ways possible so that love will shine through in others lives to bring more and more people to Christ….Thank you Pastor Curt every message you share gets better and better which is a sign God blessed us with Special Shepherd in You. ✝️

6. Kelly on May 7, 2021 at 5:29 am

Dear God I know my deeds fo not go unnoticed by you… I’m living ( trying) the way that you have I structed.

7. James W Howell on May 7, 2021 at 7:45 am

I ask , hope and pray that God’s Will be done in My Life. PRAISE JESUS.