“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)

Finding peace and quiet in the midst of our crazy and sometimes chaotic lives can seem nearly impossible. Between school, work, church, family, friends, hobbies, and errands; it’s difficult to make time for a full eight hours of sleep, much less make time to be still while you are awake. We tend to think that if we are not moving or doing something, we are not being productive. That’s simply not true. Choosing to be quiet and still in the presence of our Heavenly Father is one of the best things we can do in our walk with Him.

From the time you accepted Christ until now, you have probably been told on more than one occasion to have a quiet time. This is a time when you can intentionally grow in your relationship with the Lord. That time might consist of reading Scripture, journaling, reading a devotional, and praying. Those are all wonderful things, each of which we should be doing daily. When was the last time you took a few minutes to sit in the quiet and listen for the Lord? When was the last time you meditated on a passage of Scripture and asked the Spirit of God to speak to you? If you are quiet long enough, I promise you will hear Him speak to your heart.

Think about your relationships. If one person does all of the talking, it will be hard for that relationship to grow and mature. There should be a balance in talking and listening; and the same goes for your relationship with the Lord. When spending time with God, you shouldn’t be the only one talking, constantly praying, and asking God for things you want and need. You should also take time to listen for the Holy Spirit.

Before Jesus left earth, He told the disciples, “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will only speak what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.” (John 16:12-13) In other words, God sent the Holy Spirit as a way for Him to speak to you. In order for you to hear from Him, you must be intentional about being still.

Before the day is over, I encourage you to find some time to be still. Even if it’s just for five minutes, sit in the quiet and enjoy the presence of your Heavenly Father. Pay attention to what He puts on your heart during this time. Ask Him to give you clarity and understanding on what He wants to show you.

1. Kelly on July 30, 2021 at 4:39 am

Amen…. Please I often ask for clarification

2. Robert schmieding on July 30, 2021 at 6:45 am

Please Lord help me comprehend what the Holy Spirit Is trying to tell me

3. James W Howell on July 30, 2021 at 7:59 am

Thank You Father for our Quiet time , I will listen. !!

4. Jason suing on July 30, 2021 at 9:01 am

5. Nancy Guignet Sisk Young on July 30, 2021 at 10:37 am

TThank you for another inspirational message regardig our walk with the Lord. It reminded me of something I feel and often relay to others, especially when we get ill after a long period of doing many “busy” things. That reminder is in the 23rd Psalm passage where it says “He maketh me to lie down”. I know when I am ill, that is the first thing of which I think and know God has a reeason and He is giving me that time to slow down and use the time to meditate and refllect on Him and His goodness. It is also a time duriing traffic congestion and/or delays in any scheduled event that doesn’t happen as planned. God is slowing us down to spend some time with Him in our delay. We need to become more awre of these messages from God that appear in unexpected moments of our lives and be grateful for the opportunity.

6. Cathy D. Rice on July 30, 2021 at 10:57 am

Dear Father God please allow me the time to speak and hear the Holy Spirit, I need you constant guidance during each day. Thank you for your faithfulness! In Jesus name AMEN!

7. Joanna Tolei on July 31, 2021 at 1:50 am

Yes Lord help me to give time to be still and know you are God and let me to learn to hear your voice talking to me .Amen

8. Jennifer M. Quinn on August 1, 2021 at 5:57 pm

I LOVE the quiet!!!
    “Speak to me, LORD. For your child is here, listening. Speak to me, LORD. For Your child is here… waiting on You.”