Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. (Proverbs 27:6)

If our world becomes unstable, we need the kind of friendship that is found in stability. With every one of us, there will be multiple times when the only solid tree to lean against (other than the Lord of All) is the one He planted many years ago in our life. A true friend does make it all the way through with us in our difficult, transitional seasons. Thank the Lord, if you have such a friend.

However, there is another aspect to friendship which is overlooked far too often. It is the loving, risking, honest and transparent kind of friendship that many do not possess. When we need correcting, friends who know how to pick the right time, the right tone, and the right words, can be some of the most invaluable assets in our lives. Of course, we don’t want correcting or unwanted advice. Actually, this is when we need it the most…when we don’t want it. A fair-weather friend (one who is there in the good times only) will retreat to the nearest shade in moments like these. A real friend doesn’t mind going to the battlefield with us, and confronting us, because they truly love us. I hope you have that kind of friend in your life. I pray that you know how to discern the enemy who acts like they are supportive, only to get the inside track on you.

Where do you get trusted friends? First, they are gifts from God. Don’t ever throw away a friendship. They are just too valuable a commodity. Second, they come from our personal experiences over time and they are proven the same way. The best friends are those who have remained by your side in both the lean and prosperous times in your life.

Third, they come from the same place spiritually in your life. True friendship has a common, silver thread; they believe what you believe and seek to live it daily in community with you. Do you see that friend in your mind’s eye right now? I am sure you do. If so, pray for them now, thanking the Lord for the gift they have been to you over all these years. Do something more: Call them today. Let them know how much you love them for loving you over all these years. They will be glad you did, and so will you.

1. Kelly on September 8, 2021 at 4:21 am

Thank you lord for the gift of Andre williams… a true friend.

Emily a true friend

2. Debra Byrne on September 8, 2021 at 4:22 am

Very well said. Truth be told, when I gave my life back to Jesus I found out that I have no friends. It does get lonely and that’s ok as I know I’m doing the right thing. My old friends think I’m crazy and laugh at me for believing, yet I hold firm to what I know. I’m just very surprised at how many people actually do not believe anything about Jesus. I try to talk to people about Him around where I live and they all think I’m nuts. I’d rather walk with the Lord then the people of this planet any day of the week. May He keep you safe and blessed. I look forward to your daily inspirations.

• Bev Wolf on September 8, 2021 at 6:14 am

God bless you! It’s not always easy but you’re doing the right thing!!

3. Susette Loughney on September 8, 2021 at 6:48 am

I thank God for the gift of Sue Jarvis she and I have no need each other since 1983 during high School then in 1984 she passed a note to me and study hall and asked if I could come over to her house that night then I had my own car too so I called her and I went over and that’s where it started the best friendship I ever had. We we’re around each other constantly her mom and dad used to set a place for me at the dinner table every night they treated me like their own. Today we’re still best best friends so that’s how long it’s been she’s there for me through good times and bad and I’m there for her.

4. Betty Laughlin on September 8, 2021 at 7:53 am

Many a time of my plans were redirected because my friend interjected that that wasn’t the way to go. It was harsh most of the time but it saved me a lot of heartache in the long run. We have also had a lot of great times together. And a lot of experiences helping others to see the love of Jesus for them

5. Wilma J Smith on September 8, 2021 at 4:21 pm

God let me meet my best friend the first day of 6th grade. She and I are now in our late fifties and she will always be there for me. God really blessed me!